EF Education First
Coronavirus update
Information from EF Education First:

EF Education First Employee Reviews

Switzerland13 reviews
Good company if you are new in Switzerland. Offer many temporary positions for the summer. Salaries under average. Very social and talkative people, which is good if you are the same. Offer free passes for boat trips, Rigi, Pilatus, Zurich Zoo. Management is more professional as you take higher positions. Make friends if you want to stay there. Otherwise, start looking for a job 3 months before your contract ends.
Official response from EF Education First
January 13, 2020
Thank you for your feedback. We are a truly multi cultural company, and we do have many employees moving from other countries to join us. We therefore work hard to make them feel welcome and acquire a social network in their new location. We encourage everyone joining us in our beautiful Lucerne office to explore both Lucerne and Switzerland. We offer weekend excursions to our employees as well as free use of office passes for employees and their family or friends to some of the most popular and appreciated sights and venues in the area. We are glad to read you enjoyed this benefit. At EF, we invest a lot in our employees professional development. We believe strongly in growing junior staff into managerial roles. We are proud to that EF Managers, who made their first managerial experience with us, many years later are in EF’s Top Management ranks.
I worked online teaching Italian and Russian languages for business purposes. I have an excellent impression of this working place and about the organization. My students were the employers of Bologna international airport.
Pros
Very well organized
Cons
notning
Incompetent Management and Toxic environment- No career advancement. No proper training and on-boarding. Overall poor employee quality. Very low salaries.
Incompetent management treating employees like children. Voluntary partying, going out and drinking outside work feel compulsory. Useless business trips to the other side of the world just to get drunk. If you're young, single and with no commitments outside work you'll like it, job offers a lot of social interaction and travel. If you have a family you'll hate it.
Esta es una empresa dirigida por la cultura sueca en la cuales no se decide nada.
This is a great company to work for if you are young, flexible and don't mind working a lot. The majority of the workers are under 30 - unfortunately including the mid level management as well. The turnover is quite high because the company hires out-of-school young people to fill entry level positions. Although it is a fun place to work - having colleagues to chat with from all different countries - the environment is fast-paced and often stressful. Most people work overtime. Salaries are basic without bonuses. Travel opportunities are a great way to get out of the office, and it is good for those without family or commitments. The lack of HR and support from management is what one might miss once had worked at other companies and have seen well structured companies before.
Official response from EF Education First
January 13, 2020
Thank you for your review. As we constantly try to improve our work place, your feedback is very appreciated. The success of our company is a result of many factors – among them that we are flexible, fast-paced and that we put a lot of effort into what we do. Your review confirms this. And we do it with a smile! Working with EF should be and is fun. Our strong company culture reflects this. We aim to offer competitive compensations and benefit packages, which for relevant roles also includes variable compensation elements. We do have multiple employee support teams dedicated to offer opportunities for professional development, individual career coaching or payroll related questions. We are committed that all employees feel supported throughout their EF career. We are sorry to read you did not sufficiently feel this support. Again, thank you for your feedback and good luck in your future job experience.
On my way through the first year, I wasn't getting that much support from my team leader. Nothing of any sort.
Then a few months after, after not getting as much work given, I started to get my way through it, no one was guiding me on how to get more classes. for more than 9 months, I was being given 8 classes a day- 1 hour each class.

However, come this year 2019, suddenly 8 hours of class a day, went down to 5 hours of classes a week.

When we had a meeting, I realized it wasn't just me who was having the same problem.
Pros
very helpful managers
Cons
no steady number of students no matter how many slots you open
I enjoyed the atmosphere at EF - young, dynamic and international. They offer great opportunities for development in case of excellent performance as well as employee training.
Pros
International environment, fast paced, team spirit
EF Education First Ltd ist ein Unternehmen mit flacher Hierarchie. Die Interaktion und das Miteinander der einzelnen Teams und Departments in Zürich untereinander ebenso wie mit Kollegen aus den Büros weltweit ist beinahe familiär, das Arbeitsklima und die Firmendynamik sind extrem angenehm und schaffen eine fast familiäre Atmosphäre, welche zu einer einheitlichen und aktiv gelebten Corporate Identity führt.
Innerhalb des Unternehmens ist es relativ einfach, das Department zu wechseln, man muss allerdings auch offen für "von oben" festgelegte Veränderungen, Umzüge und neue Jobpositionen sein.

Das Gehalt bei EF ist eher am unteren Mittelfeld angesiedelt. Dies ist oft der Hintergrund für Wechsel zu anderen Arbeitgebern.
Pros
Kolegen und Offices weltweit
Cons
Gehalt
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at EF Education First?
EF Education First is a great company to work at. It offers you great colleagues, travelling to a lot of great places and flexibility.
Pros
Flexibility, creative, fantastic colleagues, young teams.
Fun workplace, most of the managers are under 28 years old, 60% of the staff is Swedish and if you are also Swedish you might end up in a privileged position.
It's a good place for a FIRST work experience but not if you already have worked in other companies where there is a good HR structure.

There is a lack of HR policies, the turn over of employees is very high.

They don't prioritise internal employees, instead of that they are always recruiting young people to make them work overtime with low salaries (specially in Lucerne, Switzerland).

Advantages: Location of the offices, young people, a party with free drinks once per month, you might travel a lot.
Pros
office locations, multicultural environment, young people.
Cons
Lack of HR area and clear policies, low salaries, high turn over, minimum budget for everything.
Innovativer Arbeitsort mit vielen Möglichkeiten

Viele Möglichkeiten sich selbst zu entfalten. Junges dynamisches Team und Aufstiegsmöglichkeiten sind vorhanden.
Swedish work approach. Great stuff. Laid back but still result driven.
Maid lots of friends